Monday, May 18, 2009

Viewpoint of 1 character in "Nothing But The Truth" ( To be assesed for ACE )

Viewpoint of Ms Narwin :

Firstly, I would like to start off by pointing out that I was wrongly and unfairly treated. In the case of Philip Malloy, I feel that all I had done was only to help Philip, not to inflict harm to him in any way. He spun stories about me, saying that I prevented him from singing the national anthem, thus suppressing patriotism. This is obviously wrong.
In our school, silence must be observed when the national anthem is being played. However, Philip Malloy, in a bid to be assigned to another homeroom, deliberately hummed along with it, despite my repeated reminders for him to keep silent. Is this wrong of me? I am not preventing him from singing the national anthem ; he is the one provoking me by humming along.
I understand that Philip Malloy hopes very much to get into the school track team. However, he is rejected because of his poor English grades. Being his English teacher, he purely pushes the blame on me. Is this reasonable? It is his own fault for his lack of hard work and revision. Because of this, he blames me for failing him, and indirectly causing him to be unable to join the school track team.
In the beginning, I was even trying to defend Philip. When the principal was about to suspend him, I pleaded on his behalf for a last chance to repent. It was he who did not want to apologise and admit his mistakes. As a result, he was suspended and blew the matter up by saying it was the school's and my fault. The radio talk host was talking all about me, and articles were being published everywhere about this incident too. I received many unpleasant calls and messages about my "unfair" was of dealing with Philip, such as preventing him from singing the national anthem and being patriotic.
Being a teacher is tough. I have given my all on educating the children and developing them to become future leaders. However, what do I get in the end? I am seen as a teacher who fails her student intentionally to prevent him from entering the track team, a teacher who suppresses patriotism and suspends her student because he wants to be "patriotic". I lost my job as a result, the job that I have stuck with for over 20 years, the job that I love.


No comments:

Post a Comment